Thursday 17 December 2009

More Gingerbread

I've been on a gingerbread baking spree over the past few days. Here are some simple cookies I made for my work colleagues. I used snowflake, reindeer and heart cookie cutters, then decorated the cookies with piped royal icing.



If you want to make some, here is the recipe. They are really simple to make!

Gingerbread (makes about 24 cookies)

Ingredients
  • 125g unsalted butter (softened)
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (~110g)
  • 2 1/2 cups of plain flour
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 3 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 1/2 cup golden syrup

Method

Preheat the oven to 160C (fan forced). Beat butter, dark brown sugar and egg yolk in a bowl with an electric hand mixer until smooth and all ingredients are well combined. Stir in golden syrup, sifted flour, biocarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice in two batches to ensure all ingredients are mixed together properly. If the dough is slightly crumbly, add a little more golden syrup.

Knead the dough on a floured surface then roll it out to approximately 5mm in thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes, then transfer cookies to lined baking trays. The cookies do not spread too much during baking, however it is best to ensure the cookies are evenly spaced on the tray. Bake thems for about 15 minutes until they are light brown in colour, before placing them on wire racks to cool. Cookies will harden once cool and can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Decorate with royal icing if desired.

Happy baking x

3 comments:

  1. how do u make golden syrup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I didn't make my own golden syrup - I just bought it from the supermarket. You can use treacle instead if golden syrup isn't available x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I discovеred your blog by mеans of Google while searching
    for a comparable matter, youг sіte came uр,
    іt appeaгs gοoԁ. I haνe booκmarked it in my gοogle bookmaгks.

    Hello there, simply turned into aware of your blog viа Google, and found that it is truly informative.
    ӏ'm going to be careful for brussels. I will be grateful if you happen to continue this in future. Many other people will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

    My blog; Car Insurance quotes

    ReplyDelete